Date - Friday, October 7, 2022
9:00 am EDT - 12:15 pm EDT
CE Credits: 3
Price: $ 105
See Outline Below.
Register for this in-person workshop at your convenience. We will use your contact information from your PayPal payment for our in-person workshop registration roster. Please notify us at Office@CenterForEthicalPractice.org if the PayPal information is different from the actual workshop participant’s name, profession and/or email address. This will facilitate accurate registration information for the participant at the door.
Maintaining an Ethical Framework for Psychological Assessment: Integrating Technology and Taking on Trends
A Live Interactive Workshop
at the Hilton Garden Inn, Innsbrook
Rebecca Vauter, Psy.D., ABPP, Clinical Psychologist
Former Member of the Virginia Board of Psychology
- Identify the main ethical standards relevant to psychological assessment in the participant’s discipline, as well as any specialty guidelines within relevant subspecialties.
- Discuss potential ethical challenges that may arise in the conduct of psychological assessment and a framework for resolving them, including ethical concerns and practical solutions in remote assessment.
- Identify and discuss ethical challenges relevant to your specific practice setting/subspecialty and how they relate to and differ from those experienced by individuals working in other subspecialties.
I. Defining Assessment
A. Testing vs. Assessment
II. Relevant Ethics Codes and Professional Guidelines
A. APA Ethics Code
B. APA Guidelines for Psychological Assessment and Evaluation
C. NASP Ethics Code
D. AERA Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing
E. APA Specialty Guidelines for Forensic Psychology (2013)
F. ACA Ethics Code
G. NASW Ethics Code
III. Ethical Considerations at Various Phases of Assessment
1. Determining who is the client
2. Informed consent
4. Selection of appropriate instruments
B. During the assessment
1. Performance validity
2. Use of psychometrists
3. Automated test-scoring and interpretation
4. Report writing
C. After the assessment
1. Requests for modification to reports
2. Release of data/Test security
IV. Specialty Considerations
A. Forensic Assessment
1. Focus on legally relevant factors
2. Selection and use of assessment procedures
3. Consideration of assessment settings
4. Provision of assessment feedback
5. Documentation and compilation of data considered
6. Provision of documentation
7. Differentiating observations, inferences, and conclusions in reports and testimony
8. Commenting upon other professionals and participants in legal proceedings
1. Maintaining standards
2. Inter-jurisdictional practice
3. Informed consent
a. How does it differ?
b. Privacy considerations
c. Client appropriateness guidelines
d. Selection of appropriate instruments
V. Framework for Ethical Decision Making
VI. Q & A
The Center for Ethical Practice is approved by the American Psychological Center for Ethical Practice is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
The Center for Ethical Practice has been approved by National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP No. 6768). The Center is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
The Center for Ethical Practice (provider #1287), is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. The Center for Ethical Practice maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 3/21/2021-3/21/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 3 ethics continuing education credits.
The Center for Ethical Practice
977 Seminole Trail, Charlottesville VA 22901