Date - Friday, June 26, 2020
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Charlottesville—Double Tree Hotel
CE Credits: 3
Price: $ 150
See Outline Below.
Mary Alice Fisher, Ph.D.
The first half of this workshop is an overview of basic topics in professional ethics and Virginia law.
The second half is a bit like a “Jeopardy” game for testing our understanding
of the ethical/legal ABCs, but collaboratively, not competitively.
I. Ethical ABCs
A. Professional Ethical Standards
B. Ethical Recommendations & Ethics Texts
C. Ethical Dilemmas
D. Ethical Decision Making
E. Consultation & Supervision
II. Legal ABCs
1. Virginia Licensing Board Standards
2. Virginia Statutes & Regulations
3. Virginia Court Cases
1. Federal Statutes
2. Federal Regulations (e.g., HIPAA)
3. U.S. Supreme Court Cases
III. Ethical Conflicts
A. Conflicts Among Ethical Principles
B. Conflicts Bt. Ethical & Organizational Requirements
C. Conflicts Bt. Ethical Standards & Personal Values
IV. Ethical-Legal Conflicts
A. Conflicts Between Ethical Standards & Laws
B. Conflicts Bt. Ethics Codes & Licensing Bd. Standards
C. Conflicts Bt. Legal Standards & Personal Values
1. List and review some of the “ethical basics.”
2. Collaborate with others in demonstrating an understanding of what was learned.
3. Indicate other ethical areas that would be important for future reviews.