Date - Thursday, August 24, 2023
1:00 pm EDT - 4:15 pm EDT
Zoom Interactive Workshop
CE Credits: 3
Price: $ 90
See Outline Below.
Register for this ZOOM Workshop at your convenience. We will use your name and email contact information from your PayPal payment / registration. The day before the Workshop, we will email you a reminder, and a special link for you to use to join the Workshop.
Connecting Virtually, Ethically: Applying Ethics When Delivering Mental Health Services Via Technology
A ZOOM Live Interactive Workshop
Rebecca Vauter, Psy.D., ABPP, Clinical Psychologist
Former Member of the Virginia Board of Psychology
A. Nomenclature and Definitions
1. Telehealth: use of telecommunication and electronic information to provide care and
facilitate client-provider interactions.
a. Two-way, synchronous, interactive communication through audio and video equipment
b. Asynchronous interactions using various forms of technology
2. Online therapy, teletherapy, virtual therapy, or internet/online counseling/therapy
B. Benefits to Clients
C. Relevant legal and ethical considerations
1. All existing ethical standards apply whether services are rendered in-person or via
2. Brief Review of Relevant Ethics Codes and Standards
3. Federal Laws and Regulations
b. The 21st Century Cures Act
c. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
4. State Telehealth Laws and Regulations
II. Informed consent
III. Confidentiality, Privacy, and Safety
V. Testing and Assessment
VI. Cross-Jurisdictional Practice
VII. Technology and security concerns
- Identify at least three considerations in informed consent specific to the use of telehealth, and how to address them.
- Articulate a strategy for ensuring equitable access to care when utilizing telehealth.
- Identify at least three potential ethical challenges that can arise in the delivery of care in telehealth and discuss ways to address them.
- Articulate a strategy for monitoring the telehealth landscape to stay aware of new and emerging issues.
American Psychological Association: https://www.apa.org/ethics/code
American Counseling Association: https://www.counseling.org/resources/aca-code-of-ethics.pdf
National Association of Social Workers:
The Center for Ethical Practice is approved by the American Psychological Center for Ethical Practice is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
The Center for Ethical Practice has been approved by National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP No. 6768). The Center is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
The Center for Ethical Practice (provider 1287), is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 3/21/2021-3/21/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 3 ethics continuing education credits.
The Center for Ethical Practice
977 Seminole Trail, Charlottesville VA 22901